Who Gets the Farm?
A Practical Guide to Farm Succession Planning
Want to avoid the heartache, financial loss and family breakdown caused by poor succession planning?
If you’re a member of a farming family, you already know what a big deal succession planning is and how most people shudder at the mere mention of it. No doubt, you’ve heard countless horror stories of succession planning gone bad. But there are also plenty of success stories where succession planning has helped everyone get what they want.
You might be avoiding getting your succession plan done because you think it’s:
• Too hard and complicated
• You don’t know where to start
• You tried in the past and it was a disaster
• Or it’s just not your responsibility
It’s true, farm succession planning is one of the most complicated, challenging and emotional things farming families face. But the consequences of avoiding succession planning can be catastrophic for families.
In this book, author Ayesha Hilton and lifelong farmer Nick Shady will help you and your family create
your succession plan with as little stress and confrontation as possible.
In this practical guide, you will learn how to:
• Get started with the succession planning process
• Communicate with your family to minimise conflict
• Deal with fairness and equity issues
• Get the right experts to help you with the process
• Avoid becoming one of the disaster stories shared in the case studies
By following their practical guidance, you and your family can create and implement a sound succession plan that meets everyone’s needs.
Ayesha Hilton & Nick Shady